Fun for the mind, body and soul
Discover a healthy activity that’s an enjoyable way to uplift your spirits and get more exercise. Meet friendly people in your neighbourhood while having loads of fun. Give square dancing a try!
Square dancing is an activity where groups of eight people dance by interacting through a series of movements as “called” by the square dance caller.
The movements are easy to learn at new dancer sessions that start with the basics. Once dancers have learned the calls, they can dance at any club or square dance event around the world.
Good for the Body
• Increases lung capacity.
• Improves muscle tone, bone density and joint flexibility.
• Improves balance and coordination.
• Develops new motor skills.
Good for the Mind
• Square dancing is a group activity that is a great way to meet and make new friends.
• Enjoy a sense of accomplishment while learning something new.
• Learning and remembering calls and cues improves memory.
• Dancing is so much fun that you will leave all your worries and stress at the door!
Good for the Soul
• Make new friends and expand social contacts.
• Meet people from Vancouver Island and beyond at special dance events.
• Get involved and volunteer.
• Have fun!
...square dancing is the perfect exercise. It combines all positive aspects of intense physical exercise with none of the negative elements.
–Dr. Arron Blackburn, Mayo Clinic